News Incoherent Ramblings from Bunny BQ

Jay gives his first random talking video from Bunny BQ.

1. Jay Level 13: ER Team

Jay submitted a new resource:

Incoherent Ramblings from Bunny BQ - Jay gives his first random talking video from Bunny BQ.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Mitewing, Rey D and Crownjo like this.
  2. Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Love the new haircut I didn't recognize you!

Looking forward to more adventures of the team.

You still care about SMBC but it's understandable that sticking with it only will not make good progress with the team since it doesn't make money.

SMBC getting new updates slowly in the future is nice to hear.

3. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

I hope things work out

4. Rey D Level 11: Moderator

"Another thing that I have to do besides Super Retro Squad is..."
    "SMBCUpdate, SMBCUpdate, SMBCUpdate, ..."
    "The Let's Play video."
    "Fuck it!" (of course I'm joking)

Why the cut at 7:10? I guess there's non-interesting stuffs, but you usually let everything on those videos, so I'm curious.

"Blaine... Super Mario Brothers Crossover."
    "YAY!"
    "Update... around the time Christmas break starts"
    "Double YAY!"
    "December 15th"
    "Still YAYing!"

"Iggy... hard time"
    D: Not asking since that's private, but yeah, hope it wasn't too bad.

Try Devil May Cry. :)

Jean Of mArc likes this.
  5. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

Yay at approximate date for new skins.

Also, I can and will beat you at Smash Bros. some day Jay!

6. RedFox Level 1: Goomba

Glad to finally get a video update:) I admire investing the money into the work environment, this will definitely pay off in the long run. If you want any tips on "getting shit done", I have some good experience motivating developers at Microsoft. Some type of performance rewards is probably the most effective way to motivate people: more results = more %ownership of ER. In utopia, you can split everything even, but then people get lazy and are not driven to produce. Communism always fails...channel some resources to reward the people who are making a difference, and perhaps others will pick up the slack! Maybe even something as simple as: top performer selects our next video game purchase? Since people are not likely getting a paycheck from you, it may be useful to remind them of the payoff later, and that what they do now will effect how much of that pie they get.

Tips:
    Cost EVERY task: estimate and actual time, learn how self-honest and productive your team members are. Everyone is different, and this will help you predict how long bigger things will take. No offense, but based off your rambling, it looks like the game will come out sometime in 2015 or not at all:(

Do some kind of sprint: set a weekly/biweekly goal and see if your peeps can hit it. If not, scale back and try again. This can really help you adapt your work capacity and set a productive rhythm. Daily reports may seem safe, but likely a waste of time in the long run since not much changes in one day. It is also really difficult to get any significant work done in just one day, so the accomplishments may not be particularly measurable at that level. Meet one a week to check up, but plan 3-4 sprints in advance...this is key to keeping things on track.

Example work model for a developer:

Sprint(~1-2 weeks)
    Tasks:
    • implement MechaBoy shoot ability
    • integrate MechaBoy shoot animations
    • implement MechBoy ability2 ability
    • integrate MechaBoy ability2 animations

Milestone(~3-4 sprints)
    Feature: MechaBoy as playable character

you always want to be working toward a feature, which is composed of tasks. This way, people have something bigger driving the small stuff.

Crownjo likes this.
  7. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

This is not microsoft.

8. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

No, but he raises a lot of good points.

A bit more businesslike than I think Jay is going for, but you never know.

9. RedFox Level 1: Goomba

I was talking about software development in general, that comment about MS was just to express my industry experience. I have also worked at Grooveshark as a developer and have as BS in Computer Science. Just wanted to share some insights, best of luck to the ER crew:):dtmf:

10. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

I don't think creating competition between a small group like that would work out. They're not going into an office complex to work every day, it's house and home for them.

Jay on his own taught himself Flash programming and made SMBC in about 1-2 years or something like that, ER has a team of seven people now. I think it's incredibly shitty to tell these people they'll never finish the game based on his corporate experience.

11. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

I agree the "rewards for the best worker" is a bit much.

All of this really is stuff for managing a large team rather than a small group of friends.
    I think it's still valid though >_>

12. Anon421 Guest

So does capitalism, unless you call the increasing gap between rich and poor and the increase of debt all over the world a "success". True artists make art for the sake of art, not for the sake of money. It has been proven many times that intrinsic motivation bears the greatest fruits.

Rey D and aliceandsven like this.
  13. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

Actually this isn't true.

For further reference, see: The Renaissance.

14. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

That is a pretty broad reference.

15. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

I meant the Italian Renaissance.

Most, if not all art made during the renaissance was made on comission.

Considering that most of the modern world's view of art, and much of our more famous art itself, comes from this period kind of undercuts the whole "real artists work for free" thing.

Artists got bills too, is all I'm saying.

World 1-1 likes this.
  16. Rey D Level 11: Moderator

I think that a little of competition would not hurt productivity -I'm not watching what and how people do stuffs, so it's hard for me to judge over how things are going, though. Competition ; however, since the ER team aren't people who just care about their paycheck but a group of friendly people, friendly competition.
    It would work in general, but we meet another obstacle: those people are working on different kinds of tasks, so it would be an unfair competition, which wouldn't be as fun, could even be bad.

So yeah, the competition thing, right there, doesn't seem to be the most convenient method.
    We appreciate you doing suggestions for the better, though, RedFox. :)

Crownjo, aliceandsven and uglyrodent like this.
  17. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

So who got paid a commission to start the Renaissance?

18. Anon421 Guest

You make the mistake to generalize. Leonardo da Vinci is a person who worked and created with an immense passion and he's just one example of many. Money wasn't his source of motivation, it was just a societal byproduct, the same way it still is today. We live in a system that forces us to "earn" money if we want to have access to the essential things of life. Humans have put price-tags on pretty much everything after all.

19. uglyrodent Level 10: Bowser

Batman.

Back when he was the Pope and painted as a hobby.

20. aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser

I think weekly / bi-weekly tasks and milestones is a good idea, but it should be relaxed and allow some room for people to be people. And people being people also means that people can get jealous, and relationships will probably start to strain naturally, even without a competitive atmosphere. Like I said, they don't go into work and then leave at the end of the day, they're literally living there.

I don't think there is such a thing as a copy-and-paste model for team management. Respect the individual and their natural amount of passion, and the individual will respect the goals set before them.

Rey D, Crownjo and uglyrodent like this.