Art Update #5 - Vince & Eve

1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu
    Backer

Ryuza submitted a new resource:

Art Update #5 - Vince & Eve - Art Update #5 - Vince & Eve
    Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    Alkerion, Ev3cr3th, Ravicai and 10 others like this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Backer

As, if not more interesting than the other art processes.
    Also I'm totally digging that purple palette swap. The red one's cool too.

3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top
    Backer

The red is absolutely amazing.

thecatreturns123 and Jessy like this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top
    Backer

Again, very interesting. Some of those old designs look neat, too, especially the ones with drills. Maybe there could be a drill sub-weapon or something?

The modern design looks good too, and I'm looking forward to seeing Modern Vince.

Omicron likes this.
  5. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Backer

Looks good. The gun seems odd to me. Is it a knife/gun? I like the gun that resembles a chain gun in the yellow/brown image where you tested different gun types.

I'm happy to see some updates with this game.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Backer

I forgot to post this earlier, but here.
    HNI_0095_JPG.JPG

7. Ryuza

Backer

Glad you like it! I'm not sure if we'll be bringing the drill back for anything, but who knows, it's not out of the question. :D

The part sticking out below the cannon is a long track that kind of guides the attacks out of the cannon, there's a lot of details like that that are hard to see from the side though so I might try and make an angled view at some point to help clear things up.

Omicron likes this.
  8. thecatreturns123

thecatreturns123 Level 9: Spike Top
    Backer

The track does have a cool bayonet feel though! I really like this design, especially the modern version looks super sleek ^^ I think turquoise is a real cool colour choice too, quite distinct :D

9. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Backer

Will Eve have the option of different guns during the game or possibly just different types of shots?

10. TheomanZero

Backer

I have to say, I'm warming up to the "old style for 8-bit, new style for 16-bit" idea. Would it be possible to just scale up the whole game in 16-bit?

11. Rey D

Backer

What do you mean?

But anyway, from what I understood, what they're going for is making "modern" graphics to mimic SNES graphics, and have as DLC or something the "classic" graphics which mimic NES graphics.

thecatreturns123 likes this.
  12. thecatreturns123

Backer

If it was DLC I would but it (yknow with reason price-wise); I love the sixteen bits designs but 8 bit is classy.

13. Rey D

Backer

By "DLC", I mean "free DLC". It would bug me if they actually sold the classic graphics seperatedly.

thecatreturns123 likes this.
  14. thecatreturns123

Backer

15. Ryuza

Backer

Yeah, the backers would definitely get that DLC for free.

16. TheomanZero

Backer

Well, my understanding is that the main argument against "old style for 8-bit, new style for 16-bit" is that since the new style sprites are bigger (18x18 tiles instead of 16x16), they might be too large for the levels designed for the old style characters. I was just wondering if the levels could be made in 16x16 for 8-bit and 18x18 for 16-bit to match the characters.

17. Ryuza

Backer

We already have something planned for the size difference though I can't mention it yet since it's possible it might change down the line.

TheomanZero and Rey D like this.
  18. Jeff

Jeff Level 3: Paratroopa
    Backer

Incredibly cool. I'm getting really excited to play this!

19. Ryuza

Backer

Surprise, Vince is an owl! Bet no one saw that one coming. :D

I got some work done on modern Vince so here's a quick overview of his process, I started out with the top left version which was a lot thinner and had a visor so I could avoid drawing out his eyes in such a small space, eventually a couple people suggested I try without it and it ended up looking pretty nice.​
    Catie did a sketch for me and I made some changes to him and ended up with the wider version. We went through a lot of costume changes and eventually landed on the first one in the second row.​
    Vince.png
    So here is the current version of the pair:​
    VinceEveCurrent.png
    Both of their designs are still a bit in progress so they might change a bit more later on, probably nothing major though.​

20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 10: Bowser
    Backer

I leaned towards the screen and said "Is he a fuckin' penguin?!"

This is superb!

Some feedback;

I really think his beak should be a bit more prominent, either a brighter color as in the top row, or shaped that way as well, right now it looks a little weird and isn't very recognizable at 1x scale. The ones in the top row are immediately recognizable as birds / owls, at least to me they are.

Also, his head looks a bit like Mega Man!

Rey D likes this.