Update: This port was canceled.
Jay talks about what’s been happening and demonstrates a work-in-progress port of SMBC to HTML5.
- 0:00: Introduction, changes, showing stuff before it’s ready
- 3:20: Demonstration of SMBC HTML5, Flash vs HTML5, WebGL
- 7:30: Explanation of how it happened, some talk of OpenFL and HTML5 platform
- 10:08: Rendering in WebGL vs rendering in Unity, advantage of custom tools in game development
- 12:45: Palette system used in SMBC Flash, shaders, comparison to WebGL
- 17:18: Knowledge grew since starting SMBC, so old stuff is worse than more recent stuff
- 18:30: Demonstration of old animation system
- 21:30: JSON used for data, old animation data ported to JSON
- 25:53: Programming discussion, ActionScript 3 (flash version) vs Haxe (HTML5 version), some early programming mistakes
- 29:50: Show how color data is stored separately from textures, explain in basic terms how it looks up colors
- 31:30: Old theme sprite sheet vs new one
- 33:55: Learned stuff from past experiences like Unity, know lots of programming languages now
- 36:02: Real talk, accepting negative criticism, letting people down, apology, lessons learned